Sunday 30 April 2017

47 Days to Go!

The first part of this week, Monday to Wednesday, I have was on evenings and although this has gotten in the way of getting out walking, more for recovery after last weekend than effort, my left calf is still sore so getting on top of that first has to be the way forward. Bronwen Kaneen came round on Wednesday morning and gave me my usual Sports Massage which helped loosen the calf up and I have started the stretching exercises again that I was doing on the run up to the Firefighters walk. The next event for me will be the Northern 10 in Ramsey on Sunday 7th May starting at Ramsey Football Club. If you have not done the event before the route heads out along the reverse of the TT course to Sulby Bridge before continuing straight on to St Judes here it turns Right and heads back along the Jurby Road into Ramsey, taking a little detour, and instead of heading straight back to the football club to finish we head out along the Bride Road toward the old Grand Island Hotel before turning down onto the promenade and taking the road through the park to the finish. It is mostly flat apart from the drop down onto the promenade close to the end. I'm sure the calf will of eased off by then and I will be back to full training so I'm looking forward to it. I also have the Race the Sun coming up in 3 weeks time so need to be as injury free as I can be leading up to that. I would like to get out before hand to recce the full route as I have only walked the first 5 miles in reverse a few weeks ago. I start my nights on Friday evening for a week so my days, apart from trying to fit in some kip, will be free which should help me fit in a few extra walks or at the least mean I don't miss any planned training in the evenings.

I got out with Dave on Thursday evening for a short lap around Marine Drive although the calf was tight throughout it was no worse for the 6 or so miles. On Saturday we left from the NSC and walked down to Ballasalla, via marine drive and santon, where we picked up the Parish route and walked as far as Malew Church. The rain had started as we walked past Rushen Abbey so once at Malew we decided to get to Balthane, where Andy had left his car for the journey back to Douglas, by taking a short cut through the back of Ronaldsway Industrial Estate. The pace for the walk wasn't at all quick but with last weekends Firefighters Walk still in the legs and Richard still recovering from his London Marathon it was good to get some miles in all the same.

Entries close for the Manx Telecom Parish Walk next weekend. If you have not entered yet then you really do have until then as under no circumstances are entries accepted after the Sunday 7th May cut off.

No comments:

Post a Comment