Sunday 16 April 2017

Work / Walk Balance!



This week has been 'one of those weeks' when it has come to the work / training balance where work has won, if it wasn't for getting out on Monday and Tuesday the week may of well ended up the shortest, mile wise, I have done since the New Year. It doesn't have any real detriment to anything other than how I feel mentally when the week hasn't been as planned distance wise. Work cannot be entirely blamed as I met up with Jock, Vinnie and Dave Mackey on Wednesday evening for a few drinks in Jaks, using Football as the excuse. I could have easily trained and said no to the invitation of an evening of comedy from Mr Mackey and Lynch but it is something that should not be missed. Vinnie is now heavily into his Yoga which has seen him become super flexible, of course this led to the usual (Male) line of questioning which I will not go into in case anyone who is reading these weekly ramblings is easily offended! Unfortunately a few of the group could not make it, Richard had commitments with work and it was Dave Walkers wedding anniversary. I did suggest that he should tell his wife, Sally, that the night out in Jaks was a once in a life time event and that wedding anniversaries come along every year, but it was feeble at best.

Due to work I didn't make it out Thursday and Friday, although I swopped onto a morning shift Friday from my rosted evening so that I could hopefully take part in the first race of the Easter Festival of Running in Port Erin. By the time I got home from work it left little time to prepare or to drive down to signing on. I was going to walk the 10K as the ankle is still not comfortable when running, walking is still an issue but it seems to not worsen any when under walking conditions and had arranged to meet Pete Miller down there for a stroll (Sorry Pete). Due to work on Saturday evening also I missed the Peel Hill run, held as the 2nd of 3 events Manx Harriers organise as part of the festival, the 3rd event being a 5k race on Douglas promenade on Sunday morning. I'm not sure if the disappointment of missing the race was as bad as not being able to recover in The Creek immediately after crossing the line outside the House of Manannan with one or two of the 320 odd competitors that take part.

Entries have now closed for the Firefighters Memorial Walk next weekend. 206 competitors have entered which is a great number for the event and up on last year which seen an entry of 116 compared to 183 the year before. I can’t believe I have been walking now for well over 3 years and that this will be my 3rd year competing on the event, I have had to take holidays as my rota sees me on day shifts next weekend 0700 - 1500hrs (see title)

Andy, Ray and I met at the NSC on Saturday morning for a shorter walk than that of last week. We followed one of our usual jaunts out on the Parish Walk route to Santon but turning early and heading back over Marine Drive to finish at The Caff. I am still testing footwear out at present so if you see some lunatic with one bright yellow and one bright green trainer on next weekend that will be me. I said a few blogs back that I had cut the back out of a set of racers to ease the area that puts pressure on the Achilles, these were new DS11's and were rubbing quite bad on the effected ankle but by cutting the material away it provided some relief. I also cut the right foot shoe, this was the cause of a nasty blister thereafter, as the harder material that makes up the heel support was inadvertently exposed. So to not cut another new racer I may have to try one of each, perhaps I should consider some midnight miles so not to be seen in odd trainers .......... Oh no, hang on........... Work will probably get in the way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment