Friday 21 April 2017

Thanks Murray

What a start to this week with the sad news of the passing of Murray Lambden. I remember my first race around the NSC, a guy with a camera was clicking away and encouraging me along by calling the number pinned to my vest. By the second event he encouraged me along by referring to me by name, this to me typified the man, he wanted to know and support each and every one of us by name, no matter if we were at the front, middle or back of the field he had the same level of respect for us all. I have read a fitting tribute by David Griffiths this week on the Manx Harriers website and learnt a lot more about Murray as a competitor. It will feel strange from now on not starting a race wondering where Murray will pop up, clicking away and / or filming. We Joked last year in South Africa, whilst competing on the SA100 held on Robbin Island, that we wouldn't be surprised if Murray was around the next corner with his camera! He was also someone who appeared able to be in more than 2 places at once. it would not matter how many events clashed with each other he would manage, by the end of the day, to post pictures from each event from the first competitor to the last.

Back in November he phoned and asked if I would write this blog for the 2017 Parish Walk, daunted at the time, I more likely never thanked him for the opportunity ........................ Thanks Murray!


No comments:

Post a Comment