Sunday 29 January 2017

Massage

For those that have just started walking with the intension of completing some or all of the Manx Telecom 2017 Parish Walk I hope you are enjoying your training so far. If you started at the beginning of the year you will now be almost finished your first month of training. As a gift to yourself for the effort you have put into training why not book yourself a Sports Massage.

My first experience of sports massage was after suffering a groin issue during training on a Saturday morning with Bridget in Peel. On returning home I rang a therapist and was seen that afternoon. During the appointment I was asked how often I have a sports massage, my answer to this was "this was the first time I had been injured so had not bothered until now". The appointment also included a Bio Mechanical assessment, basically the therapist had me do some stretching and exercises to see how mobile and flexible my muscles and joints were. At the end of the massage I was offered a repeat appointment which I took up but there after did not have another massage for sometime. I now have a sports massage on average once a week I am not saying this is the norm, or should it be what everyone is doing, but it works for me.

There are four types of sports massages:

  • Pre-event sports massage - a short, stimulating massage 15 - 45 minutes before the event. It is directed toward the parts of the body that will be involved in the exertion.
  • Post-event sports massage - given within an hour or two of the event, to normalize the body's tissues.
  • Restorative sports massage - given during training to allow the athlete to train harder and with less injury.
  • Rehabilitative sports massage - aimed at alleviating pain due to injury and returning the body to health.
In one of my first posts I talked about feeling dreadful after taking part in the 2014 Ramsey Bakery End to End Walk. At the end of this event I simply carried on walking over the finish line and to my wife's car who was waiting near by and hopped in for the journey back to Peel. This quickly seen me cramp up, and on returning home to Peel, feeling like I just wanted to be shot due to the pain I was experiencing in my legs, arms in fact my entire body. Fast forward a year and at the finish at the Sound I climbed onto a massage table that Enid Watson had kindly commandeered for me and after around 15 minutes of therapy I was able to sit in the car home and felt as good as could be expected after racing for 40 miles and setting a PB. I was certainly in better shape than that of 12 months before.

Tuesdays and Thursdays training was at a good average pace, this could be put down to the cold weather making it worth while getting it over and done with and back to the shelter, if not the heat, of the car.

on Friday I met Andrew Stanley from the Rebound Clinic in Yorkshire. As said before Andrew had agreed to give me an assessment on my Achilles issue whilst he was visiting family on the Island. I'm happy to say that his opinion was that an Orthotic, an individually designed corrective footwear insert, is not required. The issue I have, if treated with an orthotic, would more likely cause a knock on issue with my knee so it was decided that some Gym work and Pilates Exercises followed up with Physio and possibly a change in footwear will hopefully see a positive outcome to what has now been a long term injury. The change in footwear is something I will not rush into as my current choice has served me well, like anything that you have built confidence in, its very hard to give up.

Yesterday was the usual Saturday morning training walk from the NSC. Dave, Richard, Ray and Stew turned up for what was a wet start to the walk. I was struggling with my Achilles early on which is the norm when starting early, thankfully this eased off later on into the walk. We still managed to cover a good distance of 15 miles in a good average speed / time, we decided to give the Caff a miss on this occasion due to being soaked from the wet start earlier.

Saturday evening was spent at the Woodbourne Pub at a gathering of Isle of Man based Centurions organised by Graham Young. It was interesting to hear that a few are planning to travel to South Africa later in the year to compete on the Centurion event that myself and others from the Island took part in last year (see earlier Blog) A recent Facebook post has confirmed the event will be going ahead with an announcement to be made shortly to confirm the date. Early suggestions from Mrs Quirk are that we will be heading that way also, if not only to Holiday in Cape Town and support the event on the day............... lets get the Parish out of the way first!

  


3 comments:

  1. There are many things to consider when participating in walking or running events. It is usually good to be seen by your general doctor or a massage therapist who deals with sports massages for a quick physical to see if there are any physical conditions that may need to be treated. You should also wear sturdy walking/running shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This treatment involves using static pressure focused on a specific area called a trigger point and does not involve massage of the whole body. 출장안마

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massage has a definite psychological effect. Since massage animates the tactile sense, the body's primary sense, it brings people into the here and now and away from tension generated by constant preoccupation with problems. Also, loosening of muscle tension or armouring - the physical counterpart to how we defend and protect ourselves from psychological pain - can lead to freeing of repressed emotions. 출장안마

    ReplyDelete