Sunday 5 February 2017

A Sticky Subject!





I was asked this week what I thought a good distance to train would be for this time of year. This for me is a tricky question to answer because I never started walking to compete on the Parish Walk. I would think there are a lot of different opinions on this but would say that as long as you’re out training you will know when you’re ready to increase the mileage. The 31 mile Fire Fighters Charity Walk in April should be part of that training though and what you are steadily building the mileage up to.


I had my first round of friction massage on Monday as part of the recommendations I was given to try and resolve the achilles issue. A half hour of someone sticking fingers and thumbs into an already sore tendon wasn't pleasant, but admittedly, it did feel a little better for it on Tuesday evening, although heavily swollen again, from the experience.


I never managed to get out training on Thursday due to work commitments, but as it happens the weather was dreadful so I feel I dodged a bullet. I did manage to get out with Ray on Wednesday evening for a stroll from the NSC to the old White City and back which surprisingly was just under 8 miles so missing Thursday was not too bad.


Saturday morning was a lot dryer than the evening before when it rained constantly. Dave, Ray, Stew, Andy and I met at the NSC as usual and went for a lap of Baldwin before heading up to Onchan and the White Bridge before dropping back down through Groudle to finish in Douglas. The watch bleeped as we got to the Bottle Neck car park to record 17 Miles, my arse had already alerted me to the fact, through chafing, we had done a few miles coming down Port Jack! Thankfully Stew had parked his car at his work in Athol Street so a lift was offered and accepted back to the NSC car park, after are usual halt at The Caff. Sitting at work again this evening isn't making the chaffing feel much better. I will ask Christine whether she has changed the laundry powder as I don't normally suffer over a short distance and hadn’t prepared myself with Vaseline!!


The use of Vaseline, or other similar product, was something I will mention again closer to the Fireman's and Parish Walks, however, seen I have brought the subject up early during this post I will continue. I suffered terribly with chaffing during one of my early End to End walks. I had smothered my feet in the stuff, this had been the advice I had been given from someone else as a sure fire way to prevent blisters, but I stopped there. Now I find before a walk I apply it under my armpits, where the seam of my T shirt sleeves rub, around the area my bottle belt sits and of course in other more personal areas including my groin and backside, some people smear it over their nipples, however, I use medical dressing tape, I no longer spread it on my feet. If you have been walking for a while now and have not experienced chafing don't think you're not susceptible to it. The Parish, will maybe not end in tears because of chafage, but will be one hell of an uncomfortable walk with it. Remember to re-apply the stuff often also, even more so after toilet stops. One last thing to mention regarding Vaseline is to bring plenty. The camaraderie on the day or even during the Fire Fighters charity walk in April will be something that you may not have witnessed if this is your first year of competing on such events. Through my own experience of walking I have been offered not only encouragement but food, water, sweets, medical supplies etc. etc. from my close competitors support crews as you see them as often as you see your own. The one thing I have never been offered mind, and would hope Christine never offers, is the use of someone else's Vaseline......... The sportsmanship and good nature on these events has to stop short of 'Double Dipping'





https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjKQ1avLRRHay-17TRYi91NgvADN4chibzO0dz31bT9ObhesTZPmqjc92j5956nvaXw4xeiRkz22V_amfkvZuz1qv6BbbnuAkFhUt9Av_ovTB9dls6VtRKJOTBv7MCV7-MXTP8SG5wqtsM/s1600/vaseline.jpg









No comments:

Post a Comment