Sunday 22 January 2017

Nights.................. Done!!






I have been working a block of nights since last weekend which I finished on Friday at 0700hrs. The good thing about nights, for me anyway, is it allows me to train with the group on the Tuesday and Thursday evenings, something I can’t do when I am on evening shifts as they start at 1500hrs, finishing at 2300hrs. the Saturday training after my first night shift is always quite hard as I finish at Pulrose Power Station and make my way straight to the NSC for an 0800hrs start, at least until the clocks go forward. My plan was to try and at least do some mileage each day this week but that ended up not being the case. The good thing about finishing my block of nights is I am now off for 9 days, not returning to work until Monday 30th. It is definitely the plan to put some good training miles in next week additional to the Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday sessions already planned, hopefully trips to ShopShite and Cu Plas for new bathroom cabinets won’t get in the way next week as they have this, Christine also takes advantage of me being home during the day when I’m on nights and being tired I very rarely have a quick enough excuse to get out of such tasks!

 I have an appointment next weekend with Andrew Stanley from the Rebound Clinic in Yorkshire. On this week’s training walks I have been using a heel lift which takes some of the tension out of the tendon, it is basically a gel wedge that sits beneath the heel helping not only the tendon but also adds a little more cushioning to the heel strike. I am never comfortable self-prescribing anything so can’t wait for the consultation so at least then I can take some comfort in the knowledge that if I continue to use the heel lift or any other podiatry aid it will have been on the say so of an expert. The Rebound Clinic has been kind enough to answer my questions via email over the last couple of weeks so the wedge is not entirely self-prescribed.


Michael George joined Dave, Richard W, Ray and I on Thursday and suggested some stretching exercises that have helped him in the past with an Achilles issues. I must admit to not being the most diligent when it comes to warming up and stretching before and after walks. I know when I train with Bridget the first 20 minutes or so are taken up with various exercises to warm the muscles and joints up before putting them under the stresses of exercise so I really should know better. I have Google'd the stretches suggested by Mike and will endeavour to spend at least some part of next week trying them out.

Jock Waddington sent an email in the week looking for volunteers once again for the Race the Sun held in May. For those that don’t know this is a relay race with up to ten persons in a team racing from Sunrise to Sunset on The Raad ny Foillan coastal path which is divided into ten sections, again this year heading clockwise, around the Isle of Man. Although in May I remember how quickly it came around last year, after first being discussed in January, the 2017 Parish Walk is then only 5 weeks after! I have put my name forward to be included in the final team selection if not only for the food and drink that is the reward for taking part at the presentation held immediately after the last competitor crosses the Start / Finish line in Peel.

Saturdays training walk took in the first part of the Parish route from the NSC out to Santon but turning early to head back into Douglas via the old Castletown road. We had planned to stay out a little longer than the eventual 13 miles by taking in the loop around Marine Drive but myself and Stew Jones struggled with tightness in are legs, possibly due to the cold weather and Andy Dawson and Ray were only just back training again after recovering from Flu.

On the 12th February the final round of the winter walking league is taking place around the NSC perimeter road way. Although this is the last round everybody is still welcome to enter on the day and compete over distances of 5 or 10k. There is a wealth of experience at these events be it from coaches, judges or fellow walkers, most of whom have completed a parish or two or three or four or fi…………….. I think you get the picture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment