Sunday 8 January 2017

And There Off !


The first training session of 2017 was Tuesday night and was at a fairly quick pace, at least a lot quicker than the usual amble we have been having leading up to, and over, the Christmas period. Andy Dawson, Richard Gerrard and I set of from Bikestyle and although it was a shock to the system it felt exactly what was needed to kick start the training for the New Year. The usual loop that takes in the Promenade, Port Jack, and the Grandstand via Harbour Road is the training circuit for Tuesdays and Thursdays, at least until the clocks go forward, then the additional hour of daylight allows us to go out further toward Groudle before turning to head back along Groudle Road.

Wednesday was a short walk around my home town of Peel. I have said earlier the marina in Peel is a great place to walk on an evening being well illuminated and being relatively quiet, it also links in well with the Promenade so a few miles can be clocked up fairly quickly and almost traffic free. On the Fenella beach side of the marina there are painted marks on the pavement from Bridget Kaneens' Saturday coaching sessions, these are also great to do some sprints being 100 meters apart and 400 meters in total. after owning a Treadmill some time ago I always ask myself if it worth getting another one but with the open air gym that is available more often right outside your own doorstep be it  Ramsey, Douglas, Peel or Port Erin promenade's or the perimeter road at the National Sports Centre I don't feel it is worth it. I know a treadmill can be used inside, however, being out in the wind and rain will give you the opportunity to try out weather proof clothing that my be required on the day. I was lucky last year with an almost too hot a day for my first full parish walk but I am aware that previous parish walks have been completed over some horrendous wet and wintry conditions. on one occasion I'm told the climb up 'The Sloc' was carried out in such wintry conditions the file of walkers walking behind one another, trying to get whatever shelter was available from the person in front, resembled something more likened to that of a team trying to conquer a polar expedition!

Thursdays training was back in Douglas where I Joined Dave Walker, Andy and Ray. It was at a slightly slower pace to Tuesday but that was probably due to us stopping for a chat with Stew at the Grandstand, he had unfortunately finished work a little too late to join us from Bikestyle, who was heading in the opposite direction.

I have been waiting since Christmas for a new set of trainers to arrive. I struggled towards the end of last year to find the correct size in the shoes I normally wear and used my last new pair I had to complete the South African 100. I have decided to stay with the same brand and style but move on to their latest evolution, hopefully they will arrive at the beginning of next week so I can start to train in the shoes I hope to wear on events this year and complete the Manx Telecom 2017 Parish Walk in, albeit not the same pair. As long as the fit and cushioning is similar to that of the previous shoe I will order several more pairs in one order so I have reserves.

Saturday mornings normal training was missed due to working, however, Richard and Dave also had commitments early on so we met up during the afternoon. Andy and Ray did get out in the morning and I'm sure it gave them great pleasure sending an image of themselves afterwards at The Caff enjoying refreshments, something we missed on this occasion.

I missed the Winter Walking League 4th round this morning, again, due to work commitments. I did manage however to catch up on Murrays live stream a little later on. Well done to all that competed at Ronaldsway and congratulation to Pete Miller on setting a time of 62mins 48secs on his debut at 10K (an abnormally short distance for him) to Erika Kelly who is now the 5th fastest Manx Female over the distance, setting a time of  50mins 38secs, and to Sharon Cain and Louise Hollings on setting yet another PB.

No comments:

Post a Comment