Sunday 14 May 2017

Another Week Closer!

Another week of training has been completed, which of course means, the 2017 Manx Telecom Parish Walk is another week closer. The week started with a sharp coaching session on the Tuesday night, I rested Monday, on the TT access road with Marie Jackson. Thursday was a lap of Marine Drive in the anti clockwise direction passing through kewaigue / White Hoe to start and finishing with the climb out of Port Soderick and Marine Drive to end up back in Douglas

On Saturday Richard Gerrard, Ray Beattie and myself met at the NSC at 0700hrs for a stroll over Little London. The walk from the NSC out toward Ballacraine was in dull but warm conditions but once through Ballig the weather became  wet and once up over Sartfeild the head wind was also more than evident. Thankfully by the time we reached Druidale Cottage and headed toward Injebreck the conditions although remaining wet improved in that the head wind had as good as disappeared or at least we were being sheltered by the fells either side. Richard had placed some water at the tight hairpin above Injebreck Reservoir so once water bottles were refilled we headed off to complete the remaining 6 or so miles through Baldwin and Mount Rule to finish back at the NSC.

I have started to use a High5 powder supplement again in my water since the Firemans and although I'm not completely happy with it as it gives a powdery taste towards the bottom of the bottle I am struggling to find an alternative that is closer to the original Nectar Sports Concentrate that I was using. I thought  I had managed to find a GU product on Friday evening but of course with not saving my recent searches I am now struggling to find it again. It may even of been a Powder not to dissimilar to that I am already using.

I managed to find an Asics clearance site last week and ordered 4 pairs of the older DS10 that I have been using since starting the longer distance races and using a lighter shoe. I wasn't sure if they were going to materialise or not due to the difficulty in finding them, in stock anywhere, since January. I am happy to say that they arrived as stated. When I originally put the order in the store was showing 9 pairs of size 10.5 in stock on there online order page so a repeat order was put in and I received another 4 pairs on Friday. The down side to having more trainers cluttering up the bedroom cupboard is that Christine has informed me some of my trial and error purchases over the last few months thinking I wasn't going to find the older DS10 will need to be culled.

1413 entries have been received for the 2017 Manx Telecom Parish Walk. To plagiarise a post I seen earlier, there are 646 Men and 767 Women. The youngest is 18 and the oldest 82 with 197 previous finishers competing this year.

I have just been out to walk the middle part of my leg of the Race the Sun event being held next Saturday. Yesterday it was foggy up on top of Sartfell, because of this the route seemed to pass over quite quickly. I cant help thinking now that the recce today was a mistake as the distances I thought were quite short seemed to go on for ever. Maybe the unknown would of been better next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment