Tuesday 29 November 2016

AND SO IT BEGINS!


As if we needed a reminder a Text pinged through my phone this morning from the long time event Sponsor Manx Telecom informing me that Entries for the 2017 Parish Walk open on the 1st December. Of course, like me, there will be those out there that will definitely be entering next years event, however, there will be many others who will be at the NSC start line on the day that at this point have no intention of entering let alone starting what is the long road ahead (no pun intended) of training to enable them to achieve their own personal goals in distance whether that be Santon, Rushen, Peel or to go on and achieve the feeling of a first time finish (under 24hrs) back in Douglas.

I am not the most experienced Walker out there. Almost 10 years ago, between 2005 - 2007, I took part on the Parish Walk twice, finishing in Ballaugh and Peel respectively, and the End to End walk twice completing the full distance from the Point of Ayre down the west coast to the Sound in just under the cut off time of 10 hours, and at a shortened distance, finishing at Eary Cushlin, due to Fog a year later. After a long spell of inactivity, sometime during the summer of 2014, I decided I was going to have a go at the End to End Walk held in September as motivation to get of the couch and start trying to loose some weight and feel fitter. I am happy to say I have not stopped walking since!

I joined a club and fell very lucky with a walking buddy, two things I think are very important factors in starting your training. I am a member of Manx Harriers but there are several other clubs spread conveniently around the Island . Manx Harriers hold a 10K Winter league over the months of October and February the next round of which takes place on 18th December at Ramsey Rugby Club these are monthly and give motivation to get out and train between events to help improve times and technique over the winter. Manx Harriers also hold training nights on a Monday and Thursday at the NSC which help with technique and fitness, more details on these can be found on the Manx Harriers Website.

I will bring you up to date next time from 2014 to present with my walks and experiences so far. I hope I will be able to keep the Blog interesting and I am happy to answer any questions you may have along the way.





No comments:

Post a Comment